A few blog posts about some other software and Internet services that might be useful for starting up a company (or nonprofit).
- Read and Write Web’s Software for Virtual Teams
- Nick Denton’s (owner of Gawker and Lifehacker) Startup Kit
- Evan Williams’s (founder of blogger.com) list of business web apps
- Added: The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Web 2.0: Top 25 Apps to Grow your Business
In summary, you’ll need these applications the most:
- Email- Gmail is the most popular.
- Calendar to keep track of time- Google Calendar couples with Gmail, both can be used with your domain
- Project Management to keep track of what needs to be done- Basecamp and FogBugz
- VoIP for cheap Internet phone calls. Skype is the most recommended, though Jajah and Gizmo Project seem to be gaining.
- A blog- They’ve recommended Typepad and Blogger, but I still recommend WordPress (there’s also a hosted version)